I have been here for a week and a half now, and I am starting to miss and realize how much I have taken for granted in my life
Things I miss
- Beaker (my parrot)
- Always having hot water and electricity
- Driving or being driven rather than having to packed into disgusting dirty public transit with a bunch of ppl, many who stink.
- Not having to worry about finding giant bugs all over my floor, in the sinks and in the shower
- I miss eating healthy food, steamed broccoli, grilled asparagus, chicken and salmon (EVERYTHING here is cooked in oil) apparently in African culture the fatter you are the better….on BBQ night we had fried chicken! LOL
- The gym….of course along with placing high value on being fat, nobody exercises either, and there are no proper roads here so if I went running I would likely sprain my ankle
- Hearing western music that’s something other than Hip Hop or R&B
Things I Don’t Miss
- Reality TV
So there you have it, I miss just about everything about home…I still do think in the future I would like to do NGO work, or work in any way that helps underdeveloped nations become more structured and educated, but trying to do that by actually going and living in poverty myself for a couple years…..I can say a big NO to that, I would miss home and the people I’m close to way too much. A job where I could travel to monitor projects every now and then while being based somewhere out of the western world, I think that would be more my cup of tea.